Jason Miller is not just a guy who works in content and social at Marketo. He is a convincing, compelling evangelist for social marketing ROI. He is one of the few people out there that talks about social marketing as a ROI-driving, results oriented practice. He is so good, he gets ROI on Facebook and he wants you to get ROI on Facebook as well which is why he shares all his secrets. It’s worth listening to. We have collaborated on content in the past — check this session we did on theMarketo Happy Hour! Here are his Madlibs:
- The b2b buyer is in complete control of the buying process. Your job as a marketer is to build that relationship as early on as possible by helping, educating, and sometime entertaining the buyer until they are ready to talk to sales. Staying top of mind is the key.
- The biggest innovation in marketing is the ability to turn marketing from a cost center to a revenue driver.
- The coolest thing happening in b2b marketing is the ability for marketers to have fun again and express themselves creatively with content and social.
- My favorite marketing book is Ignore Everybody: and 39 Other Keys to Creativity by Hugh McLeod. I have read this book four times, that’s three more times that I read Keith Richards Biography. It’s a rebellious rock n roll approach to becoming a standout marketer.
- My favorite social media channel is well it was Twitter, but now it’s Facebook. If you really know how to take full advantage of Facebook’s features, there simply nothing better for engaging and spreading your message via storytelling.
- Social media for b2b is all about trial and error with a bit of risk taking. There’s not throwing sh*t to the wall and seeing what sticks anymore from a blast out your message approach. It’s more strategic than ever before and you are going to need resources if you want to really make an impact.
- b2b video is still a challenge. Everyone says how vital it is to your social strategy, and I agree to an extent. The key is to make them short and to the point, then promote the hell out of them.
- In b2b, the idea of a funnel is essential to understanding your buying cycle and the marketing that goes along with it.
- The first thing every marketer should do is check their ego at the door.
- Content marketing is the best thing to happen to marketing since Seth Godin.
- The biggest mistake marketers make is setting unrealistic expectations.
- The biggest myth in b2b marketing is that you have to take yourself and your brand so seriously all of the time.
- Besides revenue, the metric every marketer must track is referral traffic, campaign success, and overall reach.
- My most forgettable marketing experience is listening to people at conferences tell me that they cannot tie social back to real ROI.
- Mobile marketing is executed on little screens.
- The next “hot-thing” in marketing will be marketing automation (what did you expect me to say: )
- In 2015, marketing will be setting up campaigns using Google Glass.
- Over the next couple years in marketing, I can’t wait to see marketers clearly showing the value of social and the impact it has on the sales cycle.
- Madlibs with the Funnelholic is the highlight of my year as a B2B marketer.
Jason Miller is the social media strategist at Marketo. He is responsible for leading the company’s social media efforts by increasing engagement, optimizing for lead generation, and ultimately driving revenue. He is also a content creator specializing in visual content marketing.
Jason previously worked at Sony Music entertainment developing and executing marketing campaigns around the biggest names in music.
When he is not building campaigns, writing blogs, and tracking the ROI of social, he is winning awards as a concert photographer, singing 80′s hair metal Karaoke, and winning at Seinfeld trivia.