Jobfox has released a report on the 20 most recession-proof jobs. There are two really interesting developments for my two blog constituents, sales and marketing folks.
- Sales guys: Congratulations — you have and will survive the economic slowdown. Heck, even sales executives made the list, so congratulations. Bottom line: You can’t make money unless people are selling.
- Marketing people: ouch. You’re not even on the list. What’s clear here is that marketers still have a lot of work to do to prove that they’re a part of the critical path to revenue. There are great tips on this on Jon Miller’s Modern B2B Marketing blog. Read his post “7 Strategies for B2B marketing During a Recession.” Then hit his series on “Proving Marketing’s Value” (start on Part I). It’s easy for me to say, but don’t lose your job. If you take the lesson learned from my previous post “The 7 Similarites Between VPs of Sales and Professional Sports Coaches,” marketers don’t get fired as frequently … but, as you can see from the below stat, you will struggle to get a new job.
By the way, I have never heard of Jobfox so I don’t even know how credible the data is. What I do know is that there is a beautiful marketing lesson to be learned from this. This data has been great viral content for Jobfox. I found this article on Network World’s blog, which proves that this piece of content worked. Now, I am writing about a company I have never heard of before, and I am giving them visibility. I also forwarded this article to some friends. And Jobfox didn’t write about its marketing mumbo jumbo, and the site has no registration form. Now that is social-media marketing.
Read Jobfox’s”Top 20 Most Recession Proof Professions” (PDF).
Top 20 Most Recession-Proof Professions
- Sales Representative/ Business Development
- Software Design/ Development
- Accounting and Finance Executive
- Accounting Staff
- Networking/Systems Admin
- Administrative Assistant
- Business Analysis ( Software Implementation)
- Business Analysis ( Research)
- Finance Staff
- Project Management
- Testing/ Quality Assurance
- Product Management
- Database Administration
- Account/ Customer Support
- Technology Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Sales Executive
- Mechanical Engineering
- Government Contracts Administration